I love birthdays; I love that they're an opportunity to celebrate and to reflect, to see all the good of the past year, to be thankful for all the people around you, to sit and know you are loved. In the past, I've always been in awe of just knowing you are one year older and all that it brings - I remember turning 10 and telling my parents what a big deal it was because now I was TWO DIGITS and feeling the weight of that, like now I was going to be two whole digits for the rest of my life and whew, that being a lot to take on, a lot of responsibility, you know? I think in the past, I've always felt like a sense of AUGHHH how in the world am I turning this OLD?! But this year feels a little different. This year (today!), I feel glad to be 27. I feel glad to be getting older, to be growing into who I am, to know I can stay home if I want to, among many other things.. haha.
So because my birthday comes so close to the new year, often thinking about my birthday becomes a reflection on the whole past year, and I thought that in celebration of my birthday, I wanted to share 27 things I'm thankful for, because that's what it feels like, an opportunity to say THANK YOU, ________ (God, loved ones, the world), for this and that, because it's made me happy and given me pleasure, and I am just ever so thankful. Some of the things on this list might seem trivial, and will probably be on my list every year, but that doesn't mean it doesn't belong here. And there are others on this list where one word doesn't hold a candle to what it means to me, but I put them on this list as a way for myself to recognize that yes, I am thankful for this.
So, 27 things I am thankful for in the past year, one for every year of being alive, in no particular order:
- D, my husband
- old and new friends
- our church community
- my cheerleaders/people who encourage me and lift me up
- montreal, this city we call home
- words, and their power of life
- good books
- mountains, and discovering them anew this past year on our trip to Banff/Jasper
- calligraphy & all kinds of hand-lettering
- the internet
- our apartment view and the glorious sunsets we get to see from here
- my clients & the work I've gotten to do this past year - it's been wild!
- etsy & instagram, and the platform they've given me
- craft fairs (and getting to do them for the first time!)
- our home (& our house plants!)
- vanilla bean greek yogurt with raspberries (a killer combo)
- the creative community here
- the book of Isaiah
- getting to celebrate milestones with loved ones
- our health!
- blue skies
- the post office
- getting a vinyl record player! game changer.
So thankful for all the little and big things. Excited for what being 27 will bring, and what I will find myself being thankful for!